Are you looking for someone who is skilled at creating resumes, cover letters, and addressing KPIs or selection criteria? Whether you’re new to the workforce, wanting to get back in after a break, or looking to advance your career, your job application, including your resume and cover letter, is the first key to getting in the door. Tailoring your application to the job can really set you apart from the crowd. So make your resume SHINE.
- Straightforward. Your resume should be easy to understand at a glance. Summarise and keep it to 1, maybe 2 pages, max.
- Honest. Highlight genuine skills that you can follow through with in your interview and at work. You want someone who will work with you because you’re you, not because you pretend to be something else.
- Intriguing. Potential employers will want to hire you because of your personality and your fit for their criteria. You don’t usually need fancy colours or lengthy stories to draw attention.
- Niche. Fit the business. Tailor your resume to suit the job that you are applying for.
- Employable. By clearly and easily showing that you meet the criteria, fit the culture, and will be an asset to the business, you make yourself employable.
Resumes for Success
Take it from another professional resume writer, it’s the content that makes you stand out. That’s why you need someone who understands the written word and has a background in business. Since I’ve got years of experience hiring staff, I know what employers tend to look for.
While no resume can guarantee you success, getting it right will give you a foot in the door. Don’t be fooled by resumes that are full of colour and glitz. Employers want to see who you are and whether you fit their culture and criteria. So focus on showing them that you do.
Ideally you should tailor your resume for each job application. However you definitely want to tailor the cover letter. That said, there was a time a still landed an interview after sending the completely wrong cover letter into one job application. Thankfully it was a similar type of job and my resume had enough oomph for him to overlook the error! That’s how you know you’ve got a stellar resume on hand.
Are you ready for that new job? Well then, let’s make you SHINE today.